How to Enroll in a Teacher Degree College near Kotzebue 99752
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Kotzebue AK. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Programs for Teachers
Most of the available teaching positions in Kotzebue AK primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Kotzebue AK teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Certification and Licensing
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Kotzebue AK public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Alaska or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Kotzebue Alaska?
Perhaps you live near Kotzebue AK or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Kotzebue (/ˈkɒtsəbjuː/ KOTS-ə-bew) or Kikiktagruk (Inupiaq: Qikiqtaġruk [qekeqtɑʁʐuk]) is a city in the Northwest Arctic Borough in the U.S. state of Alaska. It is the borough's seat, by far its largest community and the economic and transportation hub of the subregion of Alaska encompassing the borough. The population of the city was 3,201 as of the 2010 census, up from 3,082 in 2000.
There is archaeological evidence that Inupiat people have lived at Kotzebue since at least the 15th century. Owing to its location and relative size, Kotzebue served as a trading and gathering center for the various communities in the region. The Noatak, Selawik and Kobuk Rivers drain into the Kotzebue Sound near Kotzebue to form a center for transportation to points inland. In addition to people from interior villages, inhabitants of the Russian Far East came to trade at Kotzebue. Furs, seal-oil, hides, rifles, ammunition, and seal skins were some of the items traded. People also gathered for competitions like the current World Eskimo Indian Olympics. With the arrival of the whalers, traders, gold seekers, and missionaries the trading center expanded.
Kotzebue was originally known as Qikiqtaġruk, which means "peninsula" in Iñupiatun, the language of the Iñupiat. Kotzebue gets its name from the Kotzebue Sound, which was named after Otto von Kotzebue, a Baltic German who explored the sound while searching for the Northwest Passage in the service of Russia in 1818.
Questions to Ask Teacher Education Programs
Prior to selecting a teaching degree college to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Kotzebue AK. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited education college not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Alaska Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Alaska or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Enroll in the Right Teacher Degree Program near Kotzebue Alaska
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Kotzebue AK.
More Interesting Locations in Alaska
Bing: Alaska Teacher Degrees Search results
Division of Corporations, Business and Professional Licensing
In the Professional Licensing section you will find a list of all the occupations that require a professional license in the State of Alaska, and information, applications, and online services for all State professional licensing sections and boards. Investigations
Alaska Long Trail could bring tourists, money and opportunity ...
The idea of a so-called Alaska Long Trail has been around for a long time, but really picked up steam in 2019, according to Haley Johnston with Alaska Trails, the coordinating organization for...
State of Alaska
Please find updates at the State of Alaska COVID-19 Information Website. www.coronavirus.alaska.gov. Need assistance making your COVID-19 vaccine appointment? Call the COVID-19 Vaccine Helpline at 1-907-646-3322. Toll-free: 1-833-4-VAXLINE (1-833-482-9546)
Official Alaska Vacation Information | Travel Alaska
Welcome to the official site for Alaska travel, where you will find the tools you need to explore things to do and plan the best time for your visit to the largest state in the country, where even bigger adventure awaits. On an Alaska vacation, you’ll discover a connection with the abundant natural beauty and culture of the 49th state on a glacier excursion, northern lights tour, mountain adventure, wildlife watching cruise, or Alaska Native cultural experience.
Biden restores protections for Alaska's Tongass National ...
Alaska officials have argued that restrictions on the rainforest's roadless areas have limited economic opportunities for the state. Alaska's Republican governor Mike Dunleavy, in a statement on ...
Alaska Vacations & Travel Advice from Trusted Alaskans ...
7 Day Alaska Highlights 21 Days 21 Day Grand Alaska Loop 5 Days 5 Day Winter Northern Lights Getaway 7 Days 7 Day Kenai Peninsula Explorer Expert Advice from Alaska.org Best Time to Visit Alaska Planning a Land Tour View All Advice Prefer to Talk to Someone? We’ll connect you with a local itinerary expert to help you plan your trip (907) 277-4321
Alaska Airlines - Flight Deals and Cheap Airline Tickets ...
Official website for Alaska Airlines the premier airline of the West Coast – Find the best flights deals, book flights, vacation packages, check-in, get flight status and more. Skip to main content This is a test advisory specific to the lounge pages.
Alaska | History, Flag, Maps, Weather, Cities, & Facts
Alaska, constituent state of the United States of America. It was admitted to the union as the 49th state on January 3, 1959. Alaska lies at the extreme northwest of the North American continent, and the Alaska Peninsula is the largest peninsula in the Western Hemisphere.
Alaska - Wikipedia
Alaska ( / əˈlæskə / ( listen) ə-LAS-kə) is a U.S. state on the northwest extremity of North America. A semi-exclave of the U.S., it borders British Columbia and the Yukon in Canada to the east, and it shares a western maritime border in the Bering Strait with the Russian Federation's Chukotka Autonomous Okrug.
Alaska Maps & Facts - World Atlas
Alaska is bordered by the Beaufort Sea and the Arctic Ocean in the north; by the Canadian province of British Columbia and the Yukon territory in the east and southeast; by the Gulf of Alaska and the Pacific Ocean in the south and southwest; by Russia (Chukotka Autonomous Okrug), the Bering Sea and Bering Strait in the west and by the Chukchi Sea in the northwest.