How to Pick a Teaching Degree College near Brookland 72417
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Brookland AR. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Options for Teachers
Most of the available teaching positions in Brookland AR primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Brookland AR teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Licensing and Certification
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Brookland AR public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Arkansas or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Brookland Arkansas?
Perhaps you live near Brookland AR or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Brookland is located in northern Craighead County at 35°54′9″N 90°34′54″W / 35.90250°N 90.58167°W / 35.90250; -90.58167 (35.902386, -90.581591). Via U.S. Route 49 it is 8 miles (13 km) northeast of downtown Jonesboro, the county seat. Paragould is 12 miles (19 km) north via US 49.
As of the census of 2000, there were 1,332 people, 499 households, and 384 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,220.1 inhabitants per square mile (471.8/km²). There were 537 housing units at an average density of 491.9 per square mile (190.2/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 97.52% White, 0.68% Black or African American, 0.38% Native American, 0.68% from other races, and 0.75% from two or more races. 1.05% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race.
There were 499 households out of which 43.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 59.3% were married couples living together, 14.4% had a female householder with no husband present, and 23.0% were non-families. 19.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.0% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.07.
Questions to Ask Teacher Education Programs
Prior to selecting a education degree school to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Brookland AR. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited teacher school not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Arkansas Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Arkansas or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Choose the Right Teacher Degree School near Brookland Arkansas
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Brookland AR.
More Interesting Locations in Arkansas
Business Results 1 - 10 of 9
Bing: Arkansas Teacher Degrees Search results
Degrees and Programs | Academics | Southern Arkansas University
Southern Arkansas University’s multi-faceted Agriculture program reflects the complexity of the vast industry providing food and fiber to the world. A degree in animal science with a plant science option provides students with a broad knowledge base to tackle real-world problems and immediately enter the workforce.
Division of Elementary and Secondary Education - State Board - Arkansas
She was named the 2015 Arkansas Teacher of Year and recently retired to serve on the State Board. ... Hill received degrees in communications and physical education from Ouachita Baptist University in Arkadelphia and a master's degree in student personnel services from Northwestern State University in Natchitoches, La., where he served as a ...
Southern Arkansas University | SAU | Affordable Arkansas College
SAU has built on its dedication to student achievement and continues to grow, both on-campus and online, with more than 100 degrees in four distinct colleges and the School of Graduate Studies.Nestled in a quiet and beautiful part of south Arkansas, SAU is a great place to call home and to study a broad range of academic programs, including some unique offerings to the state and region.
Rural Teacher Prep Program Delivers ‘Job-Embedded’ Degrees — For $75 a ...
Updated, Oct. 12 Working in a region of rural Arkansas long plagued by teacher shortages, Eveon Rivers seems like the perfect candidate to lead a classroom. With 18 years of pre-K teaching experience, she knows how to work with young people. And a self-described “Greek mythology person,” she has a passion for high school history […]
U.S. News: Breaking News Photos, & Videos on the United States - NBC News
Find the latest U.S. news stories, photos, and videos on NBCNews.com. Read breaking headlines covering politics, economics, pop culture, and more.
Arkansas Board of Examiners in Couseling
Rules & Codes of Ethics The enabling legislation of the Arkansas Board of Examiners in Counseling is codified at Arkansas Code Annotated §17-27—101 et seq. and it provides for the licensure and regulation of Counselors and Marriage and Family Therapists; and the individuals who are allowed to use the titles “licensed professional counselor”, “licensed associate counselor ...
Latest Breaking News, Headlines & Updates | National Post
Read latest breaking news, updates, and headlines. Get information on latest national and international events & more.
Degrees & Programs | Arkansas Tech University
EXPLORE ARKANSAS TECH UNIVERSITY Visit Campus Launch Virtual Tour About ATU Degrees Academics Undergraduate Admission Transfer Admission Returning Admission Graduate Admission International Admission Ozark Campus Admission One-Stop Student Center Affordability Student Life Tech A-Z Academic Colleges & Departments Directory
Assistant Director of Athletic Compliance in Northridge, CA for ... - NCAA
Fayetteville, Arkansas Manager Football Creative Services. Oklahoma State University Stillwater, Oklahoma Equipment Manager - Alumni. Providence College ... fifth nationally in awarding master's degrees to Hispanic students and enrolls the largest number of deaf and hard-of-hearing students of any U.S. state university. CSU N's 171 academic ...
U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos - ABC News - ABC News
Get the latest breaking news across the U.S. on ABCNews.com