How to Pick a Teaching Degree School near Delano 93215
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Delano CA. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Options for Teachers
Most of the available teaching positions in Delano CA primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Delano CA teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Licensing and Certification
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Delano CA public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in California or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Delano California?
Perhaps you live near Delano CA or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Delano (/dəˈleɪnoʊ/ də-LAY-noh) is a city in Kern County, California, United States. Delano is located 31 miles (50 km) north-northwest of Bakersfield at an elevation of 315 feet (96 m). The population was 52,088 in 2016, up from 38,824 in 2000. It is Kern County's second largest city after Bakersfield.
Agriculture is Delano's major industry. The area is particularly well known as a center for the growing of table grapes. Delano is also home to two California state prisons, North Kern State Prison and Kern Valley State Prison. The Voice of America once operated its largest, most powerful shortwave broadcast facility outside Delano at 35°45′15″N 119°17′7″W / 35.75417°N 119.28528°W / 35.75417; -119.28528. However, the Voice of America ceased broadcasts in October 2007, citing a changing political mission, reduced budgets, and changes in technology.
Delano's two school districts currently operate eight elementary schools, three middle schools, three comprehensive high schools and two alternative high schools. The city has its own police department and contracts with the Kern County Fire Department for fire services, EMS services are privately provided by local company, Delano Ambulance Service.
Questions to Ask Teacher Education Programs
Prior to selecting a teaching degree college to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Delano CA. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited education college not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the California Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by California or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Choose the Right Teacher Degree School near Delano California
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Delano CA.
More Interesting Locations in California
Business Results 1 - 10 of 44