How to Select a Teaching Degree Program near La Junta 81050
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near La Junta CO. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Options for Teachers
Most of the available teaching positions in La Junta CO primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some La Junta CO teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Certification and Licensing
If you are planning on a career teaching within the La Junta CO public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Colorado or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in La Junta Colorado?
Perhaps you live near La Junta CO or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
La Junta, Colorado
La Junta is the city that is the county seat and the most populous municipality of Otero County, Colorado, United States. The city population was 7,077 at the 2010 United States Census. La Junta is located on the Arkansas River in southeastern Colorado 68 miles east of Pueblo.
La Junta (Spanish for "the junction") was named for the fact it rested at the intersection of the Santa Fe Trail and a pioneer road to Pueblo. The town developed near Bent's Post, a fur trading post of the 19th century.
During World War II, La Junta had an Army Air Force Training Base outside town. An Air Force detachment of the Strategic Air Command remained there until modern flight simulators developed in the 1980s rendered live flight unnecessary for pilot training maneuvers. At least one military aircraft crashed close by during such training maneuvers.
Questions to Ask Teacher Degree Programs
Prior to selecting a teacher degree college to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in La Junta CO. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited teacher college not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Colorado Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Colorado or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Choose the Right Teacher Degree Program near La Junta Colorado
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in La Junta CO.
More Interesting Locations in Colorado
Business Results 1 - 10 of 3
Bing: Colorado Education Degrees Search results
Colorado State University Online | Online Masters & Bachelor Degrees
Colorado State University Online creates and delivers CSU's online programs, allowing students to earn a highly-respected advanced education from wherever they are. Colorado State University Online
Online College Classes & Online Degree Programs | DeVry University
Online college classes offer students the flexibility to study at a time and place that works for you. In most courses, the syllabus is separated into 8 one-week increments, allowing you a full week to complete the work. Each class is taught in our online course platform by a professor who is experienced in their field of study and allows for plenty of peer interaction.
Online Degree Programs: Online Degrees - UAGC
The University of Arizona Global Campus does not discriminate in its education programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, service in the uniformed services, political activities and affiliations, age, disability, sexual ...
World Education Services: International Credential Evaluation for U.S.
World Education Services (WES) is a globally-recognized social enterprise dedicated to helping internationally-educated people find meaningful roles in U.S. and Canadian communities and academic institutions through rigorous credential evaluations, immigrant integration and refugee advocacy, and mission-driven philanthropy.
School of Education | University of Colorado Boulder
Our mission in the University of Colorado Boulder School of Education is grounded in a lived commitment to democracy, diversity, equity, and justice. We offer cutting-edge, engaging teacher preparation, innovative undergraduate programs, and Colorado's top-ranked graduate education program. Join us as we seek to transform the future of education and address some of the most pressing challenges ...
Colorado State University Pueblo | | CSU-Pueblo
Whether it's to achieve academic goals, take part in the college experience, explore the beauty of Colorado, ... their knowledge and skills to address the critical issues and challenges that exist in the field of education. ... of Engineering Management program is tailored to working professionals with technical undergraduate degrees. Upon ...
Home | Higher Education - Colorado
Degrees Offered; Admissions Eligibility; Financial Aid for Students; Attending College. Get Credit for What You Already Know; Credit Transfer; Military Deployment; ... Colorado Department of Higher Education 1600 Broadway, Suite 2200 Denver, CO 80202. Main: (303) 862-3001 Fax: (303) 996-1329.
Colorado Christian University
Founded in 1914, Colorado Christian University is the flagship Christian university in the Rocky Mountain region. A leader in higher education, the University is ranked in the top 2 percent of colleges nationwide for its core curriculum. CCU has had thirteen consecutive years of enrollment growth and has been named one of the fastest-growing universities in the United States.
Office of Financial Aid | University of Colorado Boulder
The CU Boulder Office of Financial Aid staff is available year-round to help you and your family understand the financial aid process so you can make informed decisions about your future. Our office includes Scholarship Services and Student Employment. Visit our websites for our student employment job board, searchable scholarship database, information on our programs and much more.
Dream Center Education Holdings | Partner Institutions
The Illinois Institute of Art - Chicago Agreement Participants Academy of Art University. Since 1929, Academy of Art University has been preparing aspiring individuals into a career in art and design through our various accredited degree options (Associates, Bachelors, Masters of Art, and Masters of Fine Art) as well as our certificate and portfolio development programs.