How to Enroll in a Teaching Degree School near Harwinton 06791
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Harwinton CT. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Programs for Educators
Most of the available teaching positions in Harwinton CT primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Harwinton CT teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Certification and Licensing
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Harwinton CT public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Connecticut or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Harwinton Connecticut?
Perhaps you live near Harwinton CT or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 31.1 square miles (81 km2), of which, 30.8 square miles (80 km2) of it is land and 0.3 square miles (0.78 km2) of it (1.13%) is water. The southeastern portion of the town contains the Roraback Wildlife Area and several reservoirs.
As of the census of 2000, there were 5,283 people, 1,958 households, and 1,546 families residing in the town. The population density was 171.8 people per square mile (66.3/km²). There were 2,022 housing units at an average density of 65.8 per square mile (25.4/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 98.69% White, 0.08% African American, 0.06% Native American, 0.51% Asian, 0.06% Pacific Islander, 0.13% from other races, and 0.47% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.89% of the population.
There were 1,958 households out of which 33.7% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 70.6% were married couples living together, 5.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 21.0% were non-families. 17.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 8.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.70 and the average family size was 3.05.
Questions to Ask Teacher Degree Programs
Prior to selecting a teacher degree college to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Harwinton CT. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited education school not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Connecticut Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Connecticut or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Select the Right Education Degree School near Harwinton Connecticut
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Harwinton CT.
More Interesting Locations in Connecticut
Business Results 1 - 10 of 282
Bing: Connecticut Teacher Degrees Search results
Sprudge Jobs - Coffee Jobs And Employment Opportunities
Sprudge Jobs - Coffee Jobs And Employment Opportunities Welcome to Sprudge Jobs, a division of the Sprudge Media Network focused on in-person and remote coffee jobs, hirings, and availability from the best companies in specialty coffee around the world. Interested in posting a coffee job? Contact us. Trouble viewing this…
CT Teacher Certification (Guide) | TEACH Connecticut
Connecticut accepts degrees from a large number of universities, but you should confirm that yours is nationally accredited. If you have a bachelor’s degree from outside of the U.S., your credentials must be evaluated by an agency currently approved by the CSDE to determine if they meet the requirements.
CBS New York - Breaking News, Sports, Weather, Traffic and the Best of NY
Latest breaking news from New York City. A Look Back: Major blackout hits New York City on July 13, 1977 On July 13, 1977, 45 years ago Wednesday, a major blackout hit New York City.
Sandy Hook School Shootings Fast Facts | CNN
Here’s a look at the Sandy Hook Elementary School shootings in Newtown, Connecticut. On December 14, 2012, six adults and 20 children were killed by Adam Lanza, who had earlier killed his mother ...
Florida allowing veterans to teach without certificate: What this means
Here are 5 things to know about a new law clearing a pathway for military veterans to teach in Florida classrooms without a college degree.
Preschool Teacher - Pre K Teacher | Early Childhood Education Degrees
Increased State Funding, Growing Preschool Programs, and a Focus on the Highly Qualified Teacher: How the Preschool Classroom is Changing. Early childhood education—or, rather, the importance of it—has become a topic of intense public interest in recent years, with everyone from the president to national advocacy groups touting the value of providing high-quality preschool programs for the ...
Academic Programs | University of Bridgeport
Career-focused Degrees and Certificates. UB prepares students for careers of the future, with over 80 in-demand programs and majors. We offer programs designed for today’s busy students including fully online, hybrid, accelerated, and continuing education and certificate programs.
Assistant Director of Athletic Compliance in Northridge, CA for ... - NCAA
CSUN ranks 10th in the country in awarding bachelor's degrees to underrepresented minority students, fifth nationally in awarding master's degrees to Hispanic students and enrolls the largest number of deaf and hard-of-hearing students of any U.S. state university.
U.S. News | Latest National News, Videos & Photos - ABC News - ABC News
Emily Sotelo departed on a solo hike on Saturday. The 2021 parade was the first pre-pandemic form. The Stepnyk family resettled in the U.S. in August amid the war. The co-owner of Colorado Springs ...
U.S. News: Breaking News Photos, & Videos on the United States - NBC News
Find the latest U.S. news stories, photos, and videos on NBCNews.com. Read breaking headlines covering politics, economics, pop culture, and more.