How to Choose a Teacher Degree Program near Uncasville 06382
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Uncasville CT. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Options for Educators
Most of the available teaching positions in Uncasville CT primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Uncasville CT teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Licensing and Certification
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Uncasville CT public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Connecticut or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Uncasville Connecticut?
Perhaps you live near Uncasville CT or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Uncasville is an area in the town of Montville, Connecticut, United States. It is a village in southeastern Montville, at the mouth of the Oxoboxo River. The name is now applied more generally to all of the east end of Montville, which is the area served by the Uncasville ZIP Code.
In 1994 the federal government officially recognized the Mohegan Indian Tribe of Connecticut, which had historically occupied this area. That year Congress passed the Mohegan Nation (Connecticut) Land Claim Settlement Act. It authorized the United States to take land into trust in northeastern Montville for the Mohegan tribe's use as a reservation. Since gaining a reservation, in 1996 the tribe developed the Mohegan Sun casino resort. It has also built the Mohegan Sun Arena on their land. The Mohegan are one of the Native American peoples of the Algonquian languages family.
Uncasville takes its name from Uncas, the 17th-century Mohegan sachem. The Mohegan, originally part of the Algonquian-speaking Pequot people, became independent through the 17th and 18th centuries; they allied with the English during the Pequot War of 1637. Uncas established a fortified village for defense, now known as Fort Shantok, on an elevated site next to the Thames River. He later welcomed English colonists to the Mohegan lands.
Questions to Ask Teacher Education Programs
Prior to selecting a teacher degree college to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Uncasville CT. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited teacher program not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Connecticut Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Connecticut or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Select the Right Education Degree Program near Uncasville Connecticut
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Uncasville CT.
More Interesting Locations in Connecticut
Business Results 1 - 10 of 90
Bing: Connecticut Education Degrees Search results
Things to do in Connecticut in February: Arts, theater, comedy, dance ...
Layers Revealed — Exploring the many cycles and layers of humanity, nature, beauty, creation and decay, this exhibition displays works in a variety of mediums by photographer Jerri Graham and ...
CT.GOV-Connecticut's Official State Website
Connecticut laws continue to ensure that reproductive healthcare remains safe, legal, and accessible for all who need it. Home Heating Assistance Programs Connecticut has several resources available that help residents pay heating and utility expenses.
Connecticut Travel, Tourism, Vacation Guide, Attractions, Events
Connecticut, the southernmost New England state, is bounded by Long Island Sound on the south, Rhode Island on the east, New York State on the west, and Massachusetts on the north. The finger-like extension of Fairfield Country is an easy drive to and from New York City.
Mass. mother accused of killing children was Quinnipiac grad
DUXBURY, Mass. (WTNH) — The 32-year-old Massachusetts mother who is expected to be charged in the killing of her two children and the injuring of her infant son has ties to Connecticut. News 8 ...
Connecticut Map of Cities - MapQuest
Connecticut Map Connecticut is located in the northeastern US and the southernmost state in the New England region. It is bordered by Massachusetts to the north, Rhode Island to the east, the Long Island Sound to the south, and New York to the west.
Connecticut | Flag, Facts, Maps, & Points of Interest
Connecticut, constituent state of the United States of America. It was one of the original 13 states and is one of the six New England states. Connecticut is located in the northeastern corner of the country. It ranks 48th among the 50 U.S. states in terms of total area but is among the most densely populated.
Connecticut Maps & Facts - World Atlas
With an area of 14,357 sq. km, Connecticut is the 3 rd smallest, 29 th most populous, and the 4 th most densely populated state in the USA. Located in the north-central part of the state, on the banks of the Connecticut River is Hartford – the capital and the 4 th largest city of Connecticut.
CT.GOV-Connecticut's Official State Website
Connecticut has several resources available that help residents pay heating and utility expenses. CTVisit From family day trips to romantic getaways and fun events. Find great ways to explore dining, lodging, and attractions in Connecticut.
Connecticut - Wikipedia
Connecticut (/ k ə ˈ n ɛ t ɪ k ə t / ) is the southernmost state in the New England region of the Northeastern United States. It is bordered by Rhode Island to the east, Massachusetts to the north, New York to the west, and Long Island Sound to the south. Its capital is Hartford and its most populous city is Bridgeport.
Visit CT | Official Connecticut Office of Tourism
As Connecticut tourism attractions reopen their doors, your safety is the top priority. We hope this page can be a source of inspiration for you—and a place to learn about Connecticut’s many cultural, historical, outdoor and culinary offerings—for now or when you’re ready to travel again.