How to Pick an Education Degree Program near Bonifay 32425
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Bonifay FL. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Options for Teachers
Most of the available teaching positions in Bonifay FL primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Bonifay FL teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Licensing and Certification
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Bonifay FL public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Florida or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Bonifay Florida?
Perhaps you live near Bonifay FL or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Bonifay is a city in Holmes County, Florida, United States. Bonifay was given its name from a prominent family that had a brickmaking factory in Pensacola. Frank Bonifay, the man behind the town's name, bought a stake in the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, now CSX. As W. D. Chipley connected the rural Florida Panhandle, along the way he came up with names for certain communities the railroad bisected.
Bonifay is located in southeastern Holmes County at 30°47′N 85°41′W (30.791,-85.681.U.S. Route 90 runs through the southern part of the downtown area, leading east 9 miles (14 km) to Chipley and west 8 miles (13 km) to Caryville. Interstate 10 passes through the southern edge of town, with access from Exit 112 (Florida State Road 79). I-10 leads east 91 miles (146 km) to Tallahassee and west 105 miles (169 km) to Pensacola. SR 79 (Waukesha Street) connects I-10 and US-90 and passes through the center of Bonifay, leading north 13 miles (21 km) to Esto and south 12 miles (19 km) to Vernon.
A 2004 study by the Bureau of Secondary Education showed that 56.73% of Holmes County high school graduates go on to secondary education. Of these, 38.03% of those go on to complete a bachelor's degree, furthermore 12.60% of these students who receive a bachelors go on to receive a masters or doctoral degree. As of August 2008 all educational facility improvements shall be done in a financially feasible manner to address all Level of Service (LOS) needs as described by the Public School Facilities Element in the City of Bonifay 2020 Comprehensive Plan, officially recognized by the state of Florida on September 3, 2008.
Questions to Ask Teacher Degree Programs
Prior to selecting a teaching degree college to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Bonifay FL. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited education program not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Florida Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Florida or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Select the Right Teacher Degree School near Bonifay Florida
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Bonifay FL.
More Interesting Locations in Florida
Business Results 1 - 10 of 4
Bing: Florida Teacher Degrees Search results
Questia - Gale
Are you a librarian, professor, or teacher looking for Questia School or other student-ready resources? Discover our premier periodical database Gale Academic OneFile. If you have questions about your Questia membership, customer support will remain available through the end of January 2021.
Press Releases Archive - Digital Journal
Digital Journal is a digital media news network with thousands of Digital Journalists in 200 countries around the world. Join us!
Alabama Teacher Certification and Licensing Guide 2022
Quick Guide. I want to teach in Alabama, but don’t have a degree: Earn an Education Degree I want to be a teacher and have a degree, but not in education: Learn about Alabama’s Alternative Certification Process and Programs I have a teaching degree and am interested in more education: Learn about Master’s Degree Education Programs or Doctorate Education Programs and Information.
Educational Leadership & Administration | College of Education
Completion of the specialist degree would render you eligible for certification in Educational Leadership (all levels) and Florida K-12 school district positions in the same timeframe as our non-degree certificate and is eligible for financial aid. Both master's and specialist students are placed in courses that build on principalship skills.
Florida School Accountability Reports - Florida Department of Education
Florida School Grades – 2022. School Grades Results Packet (PDF) School Grades Overview (PDF) School Grades (Excel) District Grades (Excel) Guide to Calculating School Grades, District Grades, and the Federal Percent of Points Index (PDF) Florida School Improvement Ratings – 2022. School Improvement Ratings (Excel)
Majors | University of Central Florida
A bachelor’s degree from UCF provides you with both academic excellence and real-world experience. Whether you’ve found your interest or are still narrowing down your choices, we’ll help set you on the path to success. With more than 100 bachelor’s degrees available, choose a major that’s personalized to your passion and goals.
Master’s Degrees | University of Central Florida
Explore UCF master’s degrees in industries including business, engineering, medicine and more. ... you’ll have an opportunity to learn from world-renowned faculty in a world-class facility — Florida Interactive Entertainment Academy — located in the heart of downtown Orlando. ... Teacher Education (MAT) - English Language Arts Education ...
Programs | Florida Atlantic University
Florida Atlantic University offers more than 170 degree programs to select from. Whether you are pursing an undergraduate, graduate or doctoral degree FAU has what you’re looking for. ... Bachelors Degrees: B.A. Arts & Letters: Teacher Certification Spanish. Bachelors Degrees: B.A., B.A.E. Education: Theatre. Design and Technology; Music ...
Best Colleges for Education Majors in 2022 - Teacher Certification Degrees
Harvard University’s Graduate School of Education (HGSE) has been in existence for nearly 100 years. HGSE offers students an array of degree programs including 13 distinct master’s degrees, three doctoral degrees, and several professional education programs. The school had just under 1,000 degree-seeking students in the 2013-2014 academic year.
Military Daily News, Military Headlines | Military.com
Daily U.S. military news updates including military gear and equipment, breaking news, international news and more.