How to Pick a Teacher Degree College near Dade City 33523
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Dade City FL. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Programs for Teachers
Most of the available teaching positions in Dade City FL primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Dade City FL teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Certification and Licensing
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Dade City FL public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Florida or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Dade City Florida?
Perhaps you live near Dade City FL or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Dade City, Florida
Dade City is a city in Pasco County, Florida, United States. It is popular with tourists for its antique stores, restaurants and historic architecture including the Pasco County Courthouse, Hugh Embry Library, and Edwinola. The annual Kumquat Festival is hosted downtown and the surrounding area is a large producer of the tart kumquat, a citrus fruit eaten whole.
As of the census of 2010 there were 7,223 people, not the 6,437 stated above. In the census of 2000 there were 6,188 people, 2,399 households, and 1,460 families residing in the city. The population density was 1,885.3 person per square mile (728.4/km²). There were 2,818 housing units at an average density of 858.6 houses per square mile (331.7/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 64.90% White, 24.16% African American, 0.39% Native American, 0.60% Asian, 0.05% Pacific Islander, 8.10% from other races, and 1.81% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 15.76% of the population.
There were 2,399 households out of which 29.4% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 39.3% were married couples living together, 18.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 39.1% were non-families. 34.5% of all households were made up of individuals and 18.5% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.43 and the average family size was 3.15.
What to Ask Teacher Degree Programs
Prior to selecting a teacher degree school to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Dade City FL. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited teacher school not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Florida Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Florida or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Enroll in the Right Education Degree Program near Dade City Florida
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Dade City FL.
More Interesting Locations in Florida
Business Results 1 - 10 of 248
Bing: Florida Education Degrees Search results
Programs | Florida Atlantic University
Florida Atlantic University offers more than 170 degree programs to select from. Whether you are pursing an undergraduate, graduate or doctoral degree FAU has what you’re looking for. ... Doctoral Degrees: Ph.D. Education: Neuroscience. Doctoral Degrees: Ph.D. Engineering and Computer Science: Nursing (The following concentrations are ...
2022 Best Online Teaching Education Degrees
A variety of colleges in numerous states across the country offer education degrees online that can be earned from the convenience of your home. ... One example Doctor of Education program that is offered entirely online is the University of West Florida’s Online Doctorate in Curriculum and Instruction, which is 100% online, takes 48 months ...
2022 Best Online MBA Programs - US News
The application deadline for the online MBA programs at University of Florida (Warrington), a public school, is rolling. Ninety-seven percent of students are already employed when they first ...
Graduate Degrees < University of Florida
Definitions. Catalog year refers to the rules in effect during the first year a degree-seeking student enrolls in a program; the set of requirements a student must fulfill. If the student takes time off, then the catalog year is the academic year of readmission. Co-major is a course of study allowing two majors for one Ph.D. degree. Each co-major must be approved by the Graduate Council.
How DeSantis and Florida Republicans are reshaping higher education ...
Florida’s new law requiring the state to find a new accrediting agency was spurred partly by fights between higher education leaders and lawmakers and Florida’s longstanding accreditor, the ...
Florida State College at Jacksonville
FSCJ ranks among the top colleges and universities in Florida and provides affordable, high-quality education that meets the demands of a modern workforce. ... including bachelor's degrees in high-demand fields. Learn More. A.A./University Transfer.
Degrees & Programs | Florida International University in Miami, FL
With over 58,000 students across South Florida, around the globe, and even online, FIU opens a world of opportunities to explore and gain a deeper understanding of our increasingly international community. ... FIU offers more than 190 degrees, including top-ranked fully online programs, to ensure there's an FIU degree that matches your ...
Home | University of West Florida
To celebrate the creation of the University of West Florida's School of Education, the College of Education and Professional Studies has created a scholarship opportunity for educator alumni. The School of Education Alumni Scholarship will provide graduates from a variety of UWF education programs the funds to enroll in education graduate ...
EXECUTIVE EDUCATION - Florida Atlantic University
The Florida Atlantic University -- College of Business offers executive education degrees and professional development for professionals who want to master their management skills and advance their careers in today's competitive marketplace. We also offer corporate and customized programs for organizations seeking to raise their employees to new levels of leadership and innovation.
Florida students return to schools reshaped by Gov. DeSantis' anti ...
After 15 years teaching second and third grade at Burney Elementary, a 350-student school 30 minutes outside Tampa, Emily Lee set up her classroom this month to welcome three- and four-year-olds ...