How to Choose an Education Degree Program near Thornburg 50255
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Thornburg IA. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Options for Educators
Most of the available teaching positions in Thornburg IA primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Thornburg IA teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Certification and Licensing
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Thornburg IA public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Iowa or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Thornburg Iowa?
Perhaps you live near Thornburg IA or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
The Burlington, Cedar Rapids and Northern Railway built a 66-mile branch to What Cheer via Thornburg in 1879 The town was founded by the railroad and named in memory of Major Thomas T. Thornburgh, who died in the Meeker Massacre. By 1881, Thornburg was at the junction of the line to What Cheer and a branch to Montezuma
As of the census of 2010, there were 67 people, 27 households, and 20 families residing in the city. The population density was 335.0 inhabitants per square mile (129.3/km2). There were 29 housing units at an average density of 145.0 per square mile (56.0/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 100.0% White. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.5% of the population.
There were 27 households of which 25.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 55.6% were married couples living together, 14.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 3.7% had a male householder with no wife present, and 25.9% were non-families. 22.2% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.4% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.48 and the average family size was 2.80.
Questions to Ask Teacher Degree Programs
Prior to selecting a teaching degree college to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Thornburg IA. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited teacher program not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Iowa Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Iowa or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Enroll in the Right Education Degree School near Thornburg Iowa
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Thornburg IA.
More Interesting Locations in Iowa
Business Results 1 - 10 of 2
Bing: Iowa Education Degrees Search results
Bachelor's Degrees Online - University of Arizona Global Campus
1. Education pays The United States Bureau of Labor Statistics — the agency that studies labor economics and employment data — finds that the median usual weekly earnings for bachelor’s degree holders is $1,198, which is 39% higher than that of a person with a high school diploma and no college education.
Majors, Minors & Degrees | University of Northern Iowa | Majors
The University of Northern Iowa is home to over 160 majors, minors and areas of study in a variety of career paths including, arts and design, business, health, STEM and teaching.
CIRCLE - Tufts University
CIRCLE Director Kei Kawashima-Ginsberg served as principal investigator of this effort to transform civic education in America. K-12 Civics Educating for American Democracy. Preparing all young people to be engaged and effective participants in their communities and in democracy requires more than just reinvesting in civic education: it ...
Online Degrees | Regent University Online
Choose from 150+ areas of study, designed with an eye on the global industry and most in-demand business sectors—including business, communication, cyber security and information technology, nursing and healthcare, education, psychology and counseling, ministry, government, and law. 8-week online course sessions
EzineArticles Submission - Submit Your Best Quality Original Articles ...
EzineArticles.com allows expert authors in hundreds of niche fields to get massive levels of exposure in exchange for the submission of their quality original articles.
U.S. News: Breaking News Photos, & Videos on the United States - NBC News
Find the latest U.S. news stories, photos, and videos on NBCNews.com. Read breaking headlines covering politics, economics, pop culture, and more.
Iowa Teacher Certification and Licensing Guide 2022
Visit the Iowa Department of Education for further details on Iowa teacher licensing. Iowa Teacher Outlook, Salary, and Jobs. There were approximately 1,328 public schools operating in Iowa during the 2016-2017 school year, with a K-12 student enrollment of 509,831. 3 3
National Education Association | NEA
The National Education Association (NEA) is more than 3 million people—educators, students, activists, workers, parents, neighbors, friends—who believe in opportunity for all students and in the power of public education to transform lives and create a more just and inclusive society.
College of Education and Human Development | CEHD | UMN
Contact. 104 Burton Hall 178 Pillsbury Dr. S.E. Minneapolis, MN 55455. Phone: 612-626-9252 Email: [email protected]
2022-2023 Best National Universities | US News Rankings
Schools in the National Universities category, such as the University of Texas at Austin and the University of Vermont, offer a full range of undergraduate majors, plus master's and doctoral programs.