How to Enroll in an Education Degree Program near Urbandale 50322
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Urbandale IA. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Programs for Teachers
Most of the available teaching positions in Urbandale IA primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Urbandale IA teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Certification and Licensing
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Urbandale IA public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Iowa or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Urbandale Iowa?
Perhaps you live near Urbandale IA or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Urbandale is a city in Polk County and Dallas County, Iowa, United States. As of the 2010 United States Census, the city population was 39,463. It is part of the Des Moines–West Des Moines Metropolitan Statistical Area.
Urbandale was incorporated as a city on April 16, 1917. In its early days, Urbandale served as a streetcar suburb of Des Moines with four coal mines. Urbandale served as the end of the "Urbandale Line" after plans to build a railroad from Des Moines to Woodward were abandoned because of right-of-way issues. The coal mines had closed by the end of the 1940s while streetcar service ended in 1951.
In 1920, shortly after the city incorporated, Urbandale had 298 people. Its population in 1950 was 1,777, but the city grew rapidly after that along with the rest of Des Moines' suburbs. By 1970 Urbandale had 14,434 people, and in 2000 it had 29,072. Although most of the city's developed area is in Polk County, Urbandale has expanded westward into Dallas County in recent years.
Questions to Ask Teacher Education Schools
Prior to selecting a teacher degree program to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Urbandale IA. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited education college not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Iowa Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Iowa or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Select the Right Education Degree School near Urbandale Iowa
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Urbandale IA.
More Interesting Locations in Iowa
Business Results 1 - 10 of 70
Bing: Iowa Education Degrees Search results
Majors, Minors & Degrees | University of Northern Iowa | Majors
The University of Northern Iowa is home to over 160 majors, minors and areas of study in a variety of career paths including, arts and design, business, health, STEM and teaching.
University of Northern Iowa | A Top Midwest Public University
As Iowa's most affordable public university, ... Majors, Minors & Degrees; Pre-Professional Preparation; Online & Distance Education; Colleges & Departments; Honors Program; ... Education K-8 Iowa Reading . K-8 Iowa Reading. Endorsement. Health Kinesiology and Sports Performance (MA) athletic.
Online Teaching Degrees and Education Programs | WGU
Specific grade levels you are qualified to teach will vary depending on teaching certification in your state. Time: 61% of grads earned this science teaching degree within 31 months. Tuition: $3,575 per 6-month term, plus a one-time fee of $350 to cover the cost of an at-home science lab. Courses: 40 total courses in this program. Candidates for this online science teaching degree often include:
Online Degree Programs: Online Degrees - UAGC
The University of Arizona Global Campus does not discriminate in its education programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, service in the uniformed services, political activities and affiliations, age, disability, sexual ...
National Education Association | NEA
The National Education Association (NEA) is more than 3 million people—educators, students, activists, workers, parents, neighbors, friends—who believe in opportunity for all students and in the power of public education to transform lives and create a more just and inclusive society.
Upper Iowa University
Education Built for Life. Home of the Peacock Promise, UIU's financial aid program making college free for many Iowa students. ... Upper Iowa University is pleased to announce the graduates of July and August 2022 and their respective degrees/honors. The graduates are as follows: Skip to August 2022 List July 2022 Kristopher James Ambuehl ...
University of Northern Iowa - Wikipedia
The University of Northern Iowa (UNI) is a public university in Cedar Falls, Iowa.UNI offers more than 90 majors across the colleges of Business Administration, Education, Humanities, Arts, and Sciences, Social and Behavioral Sciences and graduate college. The fall 2019 enrollment was 10,497. More than 88 percent of its students are from the state of Iowa.
Iowa Ideas 2022 | The Gazette
Iowa Ideas 2022: The Gazette hosts expert panelists in Diversity and Inclusion, Workforce, Health Care, Education, Infrastructure, Energy, Environment, and more. Menu. 2022 Schedule and Replays. Close. What is Iowa Ideas ... Iowa universities prune dying programs, add more relevant degrees. Ideas 22 | Iowa Ideas "...Our richest array of topics ...
College of Education and Human Development | CEHD | UMN
Contact. 104 Burton Hall 178 Pillsbury Dr. S.E. Minneapolis, MN 55455. Phone: 612-626-9252 Email: [email protected]
2022-2023 Best National Universities | US News Rankings
See how the top national universities rank at U.S. News. Find rankings for the best national universities in the U.S.