How to Select a Teacher Degree Program near Waukon 52172
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Waukon IA. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Options for Educators
Most of the available teaching positions in Waukon IA primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Waukon IA teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Licensing and Certification
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Waukon IA public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Iowa or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Waukon Iowa?
Perhaps you live near Waukon IA or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Waukon is a city in Makee Township, Allamakee County, Iowa, United States, and the county seat of Allamakee County. The population was 3,897 at the 2010 census. It is home to the annual Allamakee County Fair.
Waukon is often said to be named for Waukon Decorah, a Ho Chunk (Winnebago) leader who was a U.S. ally during the 1832 Black Hawk War, although the city is also said to be named for his son Chief John Waukon. Winnebagos lived in this area of Iowa in the 1840s, before being forced to relocate to Minnesota.
The first white settler arrived in 1849, and the town was founded and the Waukon Post Office opened in 1853. A court house was completed in 1861, and the county seat was moved to Waukon in 1867 after 8 elections attempting to decide the location of the county seat. The town was incorporated in 1883.
Questions to Ask Teacher Education Schools
Prior to selecting a teacher degree school to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Waukon IA. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited teacher college not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Iowa Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Iowa or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Choose the Right Education Degree Program near Waukon Iowa
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Waukon IA.
More Interesting Locations in Iowa
Business Results 1 - 10 of 1
Bing: Iowa Teacher Degrees Search results
Bachelor's in Education Degrees | Find a School
Benefits of Becoming a Teacher “Being a teacher is a profoundly challenging and rewarding job. I wake up every day smiling, knowing I can grow, influence a life, love a child, and love what I do,” says teacher Colette Byrne.A study of over 2,500 U.S. teachers showed she is not alone—90% reported they were satisfied with their jobs, compared to less than 50% across all careers.
Iowa Central Community College
Iowa Central Community College is located in Fort Dodge, IA. With over 100 programs to choose from we're an affordable alternative to a 4 year university at a fraction of the cost. ... Iowa Central offers over 45 different degrees that transfer to major universities! | ACADEMICS. Degrees & Programs Transfer Programs Online Learning High School ...
Majors, Minors & Degrees | University of Northern Iowa | Majors
The University of Northern Iowa is home to over 160 majors, minors and areas of study in a variety of career paths including, arts and design, business, health, STEM and teaching.
Teacher Certification Degrees
Welcome to Teacher Certification Degrees: Your Comprehensive Guide to Teaching Certification. Teacher Certification Degrees is a comprehensive certification guide for individuals who want to learn how to become a teacher or further their teaching career by earning an advanced degree.We feature the most relevant and up-to-date content to help you learn the essential information for teaching ...
Online College, Affordable & Always On | University of Phoenix
Courses are 100% online learning experiences – all courses, including any provided materials; tools, worksheets, and videos are in English. Each course is designed to take approximately 30 hours to complete. Courses are not faculty-led – they are self-paced and self-directed – specifically made for busy adult lives, allowing you to learn when and where you want.
DePaul University | DePaul University, Chicago
Our Commitment to Anti-Discrimination. DePaul University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, ethnicity, religion, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, national origin, age, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, family relationship status, physical or mental disability, military status, genetic information or other status protected by local, state or federal ...
University of Northern Iowa - Wikipedia
The University of Northern Iowa (UNI) is a public university in Cedar Falls, Iowa.UNI offers more than 90 majors across the colleges of Business Administration, Education, Humanities, Arts, and Sciences, Social and Behavioral Sciences and graduate college. The fall 2019 enrollment was 10,497. More than 88 percent of its students are from the state of Iowa.
How to Become a Teacher: Degrees & Requirements - Education Degree
Associate Degrees Related to Education. Because teacher education requirements almost universally require a bachelor's degree, associate degrees in education generally don’t lead to kindergarten through 12th grade (K-12) licensure. Still, they can lead to careers as paraprofessionals or in early childhood education.
Rural Teacher Prep Program Delivers ‘Job-Embedded’ Degrees — For $75 a ...
Updated, Oct. 12 Working in a region of rural Arkansas long plagued by teacher shortages, Eveon Rivers seems like the perfect candidate to lead a classroom. With 18 years of pre-K teaching experience, she knows how to work with young people. And a self-described “Greek mythology person,” she has a passion for high school history […]
College of Education and Human Development | CEHD | UMN
Contact. 104 Burton Hall 178 Pillsbury Dr. S.E. Minneapolis, MN 55455. Phone: 612-626-9252 Email: [email protected]