How to Choose a Teaching Degree College near Almena 67622
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Almena KS. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Programs for Educators
Most of the available teaching positions in Almena KS primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Almena KS teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Licensing and Certification
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Almena KS public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Kansas or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Almena Kansas?
Perhaps you live near Almena KS or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Almena is located at 39°53′30″N 99°42′32″W / 39.89167°N 99.70889°W / 39.89167; -99.70889 (39.891535, -99.708865). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.61 square miles (1.58 km2), all land.
As of the census of 2010, there were 408 people, 180 households, and 102 families residing in the city. The population density was 668.9 inhabitants per square mile (258.3/km2). There were 217 housing units at an average density of 355.7 per square mile (137.3/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 97.5% White, 0.5% African American, 0.2% Native American, 1.5% from other races, and 0.2% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.7% of the population.
There were 180 households of which 28.9% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 42.8% were married couples living together, 7.8% had a female householder with no husband present, 6.1% had a male householder with no wife present, and 43.3% were non-families. 38.9% of all households were made up of individuals and 21.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.27 and the average family size was 3.06.
Questions to Ask Teacher Degree Programs
Prior to selecting a education degree college to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Almena KS. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited education college not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Kansas Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Kansas or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Select the Right Teacher Degree School near Almena Kansas
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Almena KS.
More Interesting Locations in Kansas
Bing: Kansas Education Degrees Search results
Microsoft takes the gloves off as it battles Sony for its Activision ...
Microsoft pleaded for its deal on the day of the Phase 2 decision last month, but now the gloves are well and truly off. Microsoft describes the CMA’s concerns as “misplaced” and says that ...
Education in the United States - Wikipedia
Education in the United States is provided in public and private schools and by individuals through homeschooling. State governments set overall educational standards, often mandate standardized tests for K–12 public school systems and supervise, usually through a board of regents, state colleges, and universities. The bulk of the $1.3 trillion in funding comes from state and local ...
Lifestyle | Daily Life | News | The Sydney Morning Herald
The latest Lifestyle | Daily Life news, tips, opinion and advice from The Sydney Morning Herald covering life and relationships, beauty, fashion, health & wellbeing
Online College, Affordable & Always On | University of Phoenix
Courses are 100% online learning experiences – all courses, including any provided materials; tools, worksheets, and videos are in English. Each course is designed to take approximately 30 hours to complete. Courses are not faculty-led – they are self-paced and self-directed – specifically made for busy adult lives, allowing you to learn when and where you want.
4 Emerging Trends in Early Childhood Education
For those working in early education, this might mean more ongoing education, formal assessments and new state-wide initiatives. Check out Understanding ESSA to read about the impacts in your state. 4. Technology in child development. Technology is an ongoing trend in ECE—as it is in pretty much every industry.
Education pays : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
These education categories reflect only the highest level of educational attainment. They do not take into account completion of training programs in the form of apprenticeships and other on-the-job training, which may also influence earnings and unemployment rates.
Scholarships and Grants
The Kansas Promise Scholarship was created during the 2021 Kansas Legislative Session to assist students attending Kansas community colleges, technical colleges, Washburn Institute of Technology and certain private postsecondary educational institutions and enrolled in specified fields of study, generally in the fields of (1) information ...
2022 Best Online MBA Programs - US News
Online Graduate Degrees; See all Online College Rankings; ... Education. Best Online MBA Programs ... The application deadline for the online MBA programs at University of Kansas, a public school ...
9 Things You Need to Know Before Working with Special Needs Students
It’s worth noting that preschool special education teachers are an exception, with employment growth projected to increase 11 percent through 2026. 2. 6. There is no “typical” student. Part of the challenge of being a special education teacher is managing the wide variety of students and their capabilities.
Majors and Programs < Saint Louis University
A degree is about more than the diploma you earn. Saint Louis University offers challenging and relevant undergraduate, graduate and professional degrees for today's changing world — along with the context and connections that will help you make the most of what you learn.