How to Select an Education Degree Program near Colony 66015
One of the most important decisions that you can make when entering the teaching profession is to choose the right teaching degree program near Colony KS. And because it is such a critical decision, high school graduates or future graduates must carefully evaluate the schools they are interested in attending. It is not enough to base a decision on proximity to your residence or the cost of tuition, although these are relevant factors to take into consideration. There are other important questions that you must ask as well before choosing a school, which we will cover in detail later. Prospective teachers may consider a wide range of degree programs and training options to qualify for positions that provide various levels of education to both adolescents and adults. And in order to pursue a teaching position beyond the preschool level in the United States, teachers must possess at least a bachelor’s degree, and obtain state-issued certification or licensure. These are qualifications that we will also cover in more detail shortly. So first, let’s talk a little bit about the degree options that are available for aspiring educators.
Degree Programs for Educators
Most of the available teaching positions in Colony KS primary and secondary schools require that applicants have earned at least a bachelor’s degree to qualify. However, an individual with an interest in an entry level teaching position may qualify with just a two-year Associates Degree. The opportunities would be mostly limited to pre-school teaching positions, or positions as a teacher’s aide or a child care worker. Following are some brief descriptions of the opportunities available for education graduates with higher degrees.
- Bachelor’s Degree. As previously mentioned, a minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree is required in order to teach kindergarten through the 12th Most Bachelor’s Degree programs for future educators require an internship to gain practical experience in the field.
- Master’s Degree. There are two primary options available for a teaching degree, the Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) and the Master’s in Education (M.Ed). The MAT is geared more towards those who desire a hands on teaching experience, while the M.Ed is for those with an interest in working for the education system outside of the classroom, for example in Administration.
- Doctorate Degree. The highest degree that an educator can earn within his or her field is a Doctor of Education or a Ph.D. in Education, which is a qualification to pursue employment in academia, research, and high-level administration jobs.
Although most teaching positions in the U.S. only require an applicant to possess a four-year degree, some Colony KS teachers pursue a master’s or even a doctorate degree in order to acquire a greater understanding of teaching, or to qualify for higher-paying jobs such as administrative positions. They may even pursue a higher degree simply to earn more respect from their peers. Depending on the degree program, a graduate student may conduct research; receive specialized training; or simply expand his or her knowledge of a specific field of teaching.
Teacher Licensing and Certification
If you are planning on a career teaching within the Colony KS public schools system, know that in the United States you will need to become licensed in Kansas or the State where you will be employed. On the contrary, most private schools do not require educators to become licensed or even certified. Licensing requirements vary by State, but typically includes passing one or more certification or skill based tests. In most States the Praxis exams are used for certification, but some States do require their own State specific exams instead. Each State also has continuing education or professional development requirements for teachers to renew their licenses.
Attending an Education Degree School in Colony Kansas?
Perhaps you live near Colony KS or have decided to relocate or commute to that area. Following is some interesting background information about the location of your new school campus.
Colony is located at 38°4′15″N 95°21′58″W / 38.07083°N 95.36611°W / 38.07083; -95.36611 (38.070803, -95.366109). According to the United States Census Bureau, the city has a total area of 0.52 square miles (1.35 km2), all of it land.
The climate in this area is characterized by hot, humid summers and generally mild to cool winters. According to the Köppen Climate Classification system, Colony has a humid subtropical climate, abbreviated "Cfa" on climate maps.
As of the census of 2010, there were 408 people, 177 households, and 112 families residing in the city. The population density was 784.6 inhabitants per square mile (302.9/km2). There were 192 housing units at an average density of 369.2 per square mile (142.5/km2). The racial makeup of the city was 94.4% White, 1.7% African American, 0.2% Native American, 0.2% Asian, and 3.4% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.2% of the population.
What to Ask Teacher Degree Programs
Prior to selecting a education degree college to enroll in, there are a few questions that you need to ask to ensure you pick the best one for your career objectives in Colony KS. As we mentioned previously, the location of the school as well as the cost are important considerations when weighing your options, but they should not be the only ones you consider. Following are some additional questions that must be asked before making a final decision.
- Are the Schools and Programs Accredited? Graduating from an accredited teacher program not only provides an assurance that you have received a quality education, but may also be an asset when securing that first teaching position.
- Are the Programs Recognized by the Dept. of Education? In order to be a more sought after job candidate, make sure that the program you enroll in is recognized by the Kansas Department of Education, or by the State where you will be teaching.
- Do the Programs have High Employment Rates? Find out what percentage of graduates are employed in their field, particularly in their chosen specialty, and on average how soon after graduation.
- Does the School Offer Your Chosen Specialty? Naturally you will want to choose an education degree school that offers your chosen specialty. Make sure that it also offers advanced degrees if you are planning on continuing your education at the graduate level.
- Do the Programs Work with Local School Districts? Programs that work with local school districts afford their students more opportunities to secure student teaching positions. It also gives students an opportunity to showcase their talents locally prior to pursuing teaching positions upon graduation.
- Are Scholarships Offered? Find out if the programs you are interested in offer scholarships that can make your education more affordable and minimize the need for student loans.
- Do the Schools Provide Licensing Exam Preparation? Graduates must become State Certified and Licensed prior to accepting any public teaching positions. Make sure that the school you enroll in helps prepare you for the exams required by Kansas or the
State where you will be employed.
- Do the Schools Help Graduates Find Employment? Finally, once you graduate from teaching school you will no doubt be anxious to secure your first position. Find out if the schools have job assistance programs, including job placement and interview and resume preparation programs.
Choose the Right Teacher Degree School near Colony Kansas
Teaching is a rewarding profession that provides an opportunity for educators to help develop young minds for their betterment and future success. Having that kind of influence on adolescents and young adults is something that requires the proper education and training. Make sure that when you are reviewing your education degree options that you ask the right questions so that you can make an informed comparison and final decision. And once you have made your commitment and enrolled in a degree program, you can begin your journey to become a teacher in Colony KS.
More Interesting Locations in Kansas
Business Results 1 - 10 of 1
Bing: Kansas Education Degrees Search results
Best Colleges for Education Majors in 2022 - Teacher Certification Degrees
Kansas State University (#3) Arizona State University (#4) North Carolina State University (#5) University of the Cumberlands (#6) ... Ohio Wesleyan University offers multiple undergraduate degrees in education, including early childhood education, middle childhood education, special education, and integrated science for teachers, Ohio Wesleyan ...
Education pays : U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics
These education categories reflect only the highest level of educational attainment. They do not take into account completion of training programs in the form of apprenticeships and other on-the-job training, which may also influence earnings and unemployment rates.
Online College Classes & Online Degree Programs | DeVry University
Online college classes offer students the flexibility to study at a time and place that works for you. In most courses, the syllabus is separated into 8 one-week increments, allowing you a full week to complete the work. Each class is taught in our online course platform by a professor who is experienced in their field of study and allows for plenty of peer interaction.
Degrees and Programs - Fort Hays State University
All of our programs are regionally accredited by the Higher Learning Commission, so you know you're getting a quality education. Select the degree level you are pursuing and choose the online program that best fits your goals. Associate's Degree Bachelor's Degree Master's Degree. Specialist in Education: EdS Doctorate of Nursing Certificate ...
Online Teaching Degrees and Education Programs | WGU
Specific grade levels you are qualified to teach will vary depending on teaching certification in your state. Time: 61% of grads earned this science teaching degree within 31 months. Tuition: $3,575 per 6-month term, plus a one-time fee of $350 to cover the cost of an at-home science lab. Courses: 40 total courses in this program. Candidates for this online science teaching degree often include:
Online Degree Programs: Online Degrees - UAGC
The University of Arizona Global Campus does not discriminate in its education programs and activities on the basis of race, color, creed, national or ethnic origin, religion, sex, pregnancy, childbirth and related medical conditions, marital status, medical condition, genetic information, service in the uniformed services, political activities and affiliations, age, disability, sexual ...
Global Legal Chronicle – Global Legal Chronicle
The Sovereign Fund of Egypt and Egypt Education Platform’s Acquisition of Selah El Telmeez. Middle East. Middle East. Middle East Legal Chronicle; November 25, 2022 4. Infront Sports & Media’s Acquisition of Pico Media Moments. November 24, 2022 4. Sohar International Bank’s Merger With HSBC Bank Oman.
Book TV | Series | C-SPAN.org | C-SPAN.org
In Depth with Peter Baker and Susan Glasser. Peter Baker (New York Times) and Susan Glasser (New Yorker) join Book TV to talk and take calls about Russia, the Trump administration, U.S. foreign ...
AOL - Finance News & Latest Business Headlines - AOL.com
Get breaking Finance news and the latest business articles from AOL. From stock market news to jobs and real estate, it can all be found here.
8 Proven Tips on How to Get Kids to Eat Healthy
Kirsten is a Content Writer at Collegis Education where she enjoys researching and writing on behalf of Rasmussen University. She understands the difference that education can make and hopes to inspire readers at every stage of their education journey.